*The Challenge Course is currently closed. We aim to reopen and begin taking reservations as soon as state and county restrictions allow. Reservations are not available at this time. Please check back here for the most current status. If you would like to be notified when reservations will open, please enter your email address into this form. Once open, challenge course reservations will need to be requested a minimum of 30 days in advance.
Who we serve
- UCLA students, staff, faculty
- Professional / corporate teams and associations
- Nonprofit and community organizations
- Youth groups
- Student groups
- Sports teams
What we offer
- Adventure-based programs, tailored to meet your group’s objectives
- Programs for groups ranging from size 5 to 180
- Experiences such as group bonding, teambuilding, leadership development, and individual/group growth
- Programs year round, any day of the week, during daylight hours
- Trained, professional staff skilled in working with a full spectrum of client types
- Programs of different, customizable lengths to fit your schedule
- Options to expand on your event with adjacent field and picnic space for use such as picnic, catering, sound system, etc.
- Portable teambuilding activities for programs at your organization’s location (office, conference room, field space, etc.)
What is a challenge course?
A challenge course is an adventure-filled tool for team development, group bonding, and learning. Our course has both ground-based and high-ropes climbing activities designed to challenge groups of all types. Our professional facilitator staff design a program to match your group’s unique makeup and achieve your desired outcomes. Through collaboration, your group will build trust and cohesiveness while developing skills in leadership, communication, and decision-making. While many activities have a physical component to them, physical strength and fitness is not a basis for achieving success on our course.
To inquire about date availability, request a quote, or to start a new reservation, please submit a Reservation Interest Form. For other questions, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The UCLA Challenge Course is located on campus at Sunset Canyon Recreation Center, nestled amongst the pine and eucalyptus trees. Enter via the main entrance to SCRC and head up the stairs, following the signs directing you toward the challenge course.
Address: 111 Easton Drive, Los Angeles, CA 90095
Parking Lot RC is immediately adjacent to the course and has limited daily visitor spots available for purchase at the automated kiosk. Parking Lot 11 is a five minute walk and has daily visitor spots also available for purchase at the automated kiosk. Chartered busses may drop off and pick up directly at SCRC; coordinate details when you make your reservation.
The UCLA Challenge Course is available for private program reservations of a variety of purposes such as staff retreats, teambuilding, youth recreation, experiential learning, and more. Your program will be tailored to meet your group’s unique makeup and desired outcomes. Our most popular programs on offer are:
- Full day ground based teambuilding + high ropes
- Half day ground based teambuilding + high ropes
- 3-hour ground based teambuilding
Looking for something else? We can customize a program to fit your schedule and desires*. Fill out a Reservation Interest Form and we will get back to you with options.
*We do not offer climbing-only programs. Our course uses participant team belay systems and thus we require groups to first build and demonstrate adequate teamwork abilities before advancing to climbing options. We do not have obstacle-course/aerial-park-type climbs.
Ground based teambuilding
These activities take place on or near the ground and will challenge your team both mentally and physically. Group problem-solving, communication strategies, and creative thinking will be put to work in a series of ground-based teambuilding initiatives that grow progressively harder. Activities may incorporate low-ropes structures or props such as balancing beams, wooden platforms, and suspended cables. While the high ropes climbing course is certainly exciting, most participants find the ground-based activities to be the most valuable in improving their team’s performance and bond.
High ropes course
Our two signature teambuilding climbs include the High V and the Leap of Faith. We also have a Giant’s Ladder and 2 Vertical Playpens.
Reservations and Inquiries
Interested in what kind of program we can offer you and your group? Submit a Reservation Interest Form and we will get back to you with options, date availability, and pricing quotes.
Your program date and time will be reserved on the calendar once we receive your $250 nonrefundable deposit.
- Submit a Reservation Interest Form.
- Select and confirm your program details (program length/type, date, time, etc.).
- $250 deposit reserves your program on the calendar.
- Payment balance is due in full 10 business days prior to your program.
- Signed contract agreement is due 10 business days prior to your program. *
- Submit your organization's certificate of insurance, due 10 days prior to your program. *
* These items are not applicable to internal University groups (i.e. departments, current UCLA students).
Our staff are trained in and prioritize safety. However, risk management is everyone’s job (both staff and participants). Challenge course activities, whether on/near the ground or involving climbing, are inherently risky. It is possible to get hurt. Risks include mild injuries (i.e. splinters, scrapes, bruises), moderate injuries (broken bones), severe/life-altering injuries (paralysis, blindness), and even death. Activities can evoke strong emotional and physiological responses. Participants must follow instructions, choose their level of participation, and take part in managing risk.
“Challenge by choice” is an essential pillar of our programs. Our staff will present the group with activities that are designed to be both physically, mentally, and emotionally challenging. Participants choose if and to what extent they wish to engage in any activity. Additionally, there are opportunities for participants to change their minds.
All persons on the challenge course (regardless of participation level) must submit a signed waiver. Minors must have a parent/guardian sign their waiver.
- Reservations are required a minimum of 30 days in advance.
- Program is reserved on the calendar upon receipt of your $250 nonrefundable deposit.
- Cancellations made 10 business days or more in advance are eligible for a 100% refund, minus the $250 deposit.
- Date/time changes must be made 10 business days or more in advance, and are subject to availability.
- Program payment balance is due in full 10 business days prior to program, or program may be cancelled.
- If UCLA cancels the program for any reason, a 100% refund will be issued, including the deposit.
- Failure to submit required reservation paperwork (signed contract, certificate of insurance) 10 business days prior to program can result in program cancellation. Deposit will not be refunded.
- There are no refunds on participant fees in the event that the group arrives at the program with fewer participant numbers than expected. The program is planned and staffed for the group size as quoted.
- Groups smaller than 10 people are welcome, but the minimum fee charged is for 10 people.
Weather & Clothing
- All program participants must wear close-toed, close-healed, supportive shoes (i.e. no sandals, house slippers, etc.).
- We do not cancel programs for weather. Programs will continue as planned in the event of rain, etc.
- Climbing activities may be limited in the event of high winds.
- We recommend wearing clothing layers that you can adapt to changing temperatures and physical activity, and that you are okay with getting dirty.
- Limit jewelry; no dangling pieces.
- Bring sun/heat protection, such as hats, sunglasses, sunscreen, and a water bottle. We have water fountains for refilling water bottles.