Check out Youth Swim Lessons
UCLA Recreation offers multiple swim classes throughout the year to meet the needs of all swimmers. UCLA Recreation believes that most adults acquire swimming skills better in groups. We recommend and encourage group lessons. We also offer 60-minute private lessons by appointment only, to adults whose needs are better met through individual instruction. All pools are handicap accessible.
- Beginner Swim
- Intermediate Swim
- Swim for Fitness
- Private Instruction
- Elite Coaching
- Adaptive Private Instruction
Thank you for your interest in Swim Lessons!
- UCLA Recreation believes that consistent instruction is beneficial to students and instructors. Therefore, we will make every effort to provide you with a consistent instructor and with the instructor that you request.
- After purchasing lessons, booking and scheduling Private Instruction Swim Lessons will be directly between the instructor and client.
- After purchasing your lessons, the instructor will call you within 48 business hours to schedule your first Private Instruction Swim Lesson.
- If you do not receive a phone call from an instructor within 48 business hours please call 310-825-3411
- Cancellation or rescheduling of private lessons must be made 24 hours in advance. To cancel a private lesson please call your instructor directly or Aquatics Coordinator at 310-825-3411 If you fail to cancel with-in 24 hours you wil be charged in full for the session.
- To purchase additional lessons please call or stop by the John Wooden Center at (310) 825-3701.
- Private Instruction Swim Lessons are offered only as instructor availability and pool space permit during Recreation Swim hours. During the summer months of June through September, Private Instruction is only offered during times when instructional block swim lessons are not offered.
This class is designed for those with little or no swimming skills. A goal for this class is to be able to swim a length of the pool (25 yards) and feel comfortable in deep water. Safety skills and the development of basic strokes for distance swimming are stressed. Individuals can enjoy the water while becoming prepared for advanced activities around the water
Intermediate Swim Lessons
This class is designed for the well-adjusted swimmer who wants to advance his or her swimming skills. The general goals of this class include advanced proficiency in the basic four strokes - butterfly, backstroke, breaststroke, and front crawl (freestyle) - and the ability to use water as a medium for recreation and fitness.
Pre-requisites: Successful completion of the Beginning Swim class or the ability to swim any stroke comfortable for 50 yards continuously. Participants will be tested on the first day of class. Participants not meeting the pre-requisites will be directed to the Beginning Swim class if space is available.
Swim for Fitness
This class offers further training and stroke refinement in the four competitive swimming strokes. Swim conditioning principles and endurance are emphasized. The workout will focus on improving aerobic and anaerobic conditioning. Participants will gain basic knowledge in swim workout structure and continue their own fitness program. If desired, participants can set goals that lead to participation in the Bruin Masters Swim Club.
Pre-requisites: Successful completion of Intermediate swim class or the ability to swim front crawl (freestyle), backstroke, and breaststroke comfortably for 50 yards continuously. Participants will be tested on their first day of class. Participants not meeting the pre-requisites will be directed to the Intermediate or Beginning classes if space is available.
Private one-on-one instruction is available for most of our instructional activities, including but not limited to arts, dance, martial arts, sports and aquatics. We also offer semi-private, 2 participant instruction at a reduced rate per person.
How Private/Semi-Private Instruction Enrollment Works:
- First, you must download and complete a Private Instruction Enrollment Form. The form is also available at the Sales & Cashiering Desk located inside the John Wooden Center. On this form, you will specify your activity, how many hours of instruction you would like, and make the payment.
- Within the next 3 business days, your application will be processed and the Instructional Programs Unit will contact you via email to put you in touch with an instructor, with whom you can discuss goals and meeting times.
- Once you have arranged specific times and days to meet with your instructor, and the facility's availability has been confirmed with the Instructional Programs Unit, instruction may begin. This could take up to 10 business days.
When completing the Private Instruction Enrollment Form, please ensure that:
- The front page is completed entirely.
- The waiver on the second page has your printed name on the top, and you have signed and dated it twice.
- The last page of the packet, titled PAR-Q & YOU, is completed entirely
Private (and Semi-Private) Instruction Rates:
- UCLA Student (Undergrad or Graduate): $39/hr for private, $29/hr for semi-private*
- UCLA Rec Member: $49/hr for private, $39/hr for semi-private*
- UCLA Affiliates: $59/hr for private, $49/hr for semi-private*
*Semi-private instruction rate is per person.
Note: You cannot purchase additional hours from your instructor (he/she will never ask you for money/payment). Additional hours can be purchased at the Sales & Cashiering Desk, using the Renewal Form.
Frequently Asked Questions:
When can I start my private instruction?
Scheduling your first sessions may take up to 10 business days.
Does my private instruction expire?
All private instruction expires one year from the date of purchase.
How do I add more sessions to my private instruction?
All you need to do is complete and turn in a Renewal Form
How does semi-private instruction work?
Semi-private instruction is limited to 2 participants per instructor per hour. Both must fill out separate Private Instruction Enrollment Forms; on the front page there is a line to indicate who the second participant is.
What if one participant is absent from semi-private instruction?
The class counts toward your total hours even if only one person attends. To schedule a makeup, both need to cancel with the instructor at least 24 hours before the class.
If you have any further questions regarding private instruction, feel free to email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Elite Coaching clients can choose from one of our very talented swim coaches for one-on-one swim coaching sessions. If you would like to purchase Elite Coaching sessions, please visit the John Wooden Center Sales & Cashiering desk or if you need more information please call (310) 825-3701.
- Elite coaching sessions are 55 minutes or 30 minutes in length.
- Sessions are scheduled with the coach.
Elite Coaching is offered per coaches availability and as pool space permits.
Elite coaching is available to individuals age 5 years and above
Available to persons of all swimming ability
Individual 55 minute lesson
Group 55 minute lesson with 2-4 people
Adaptive Private Instruction
- UCLA offers 60 minute Private Instruction swim lessons to children and adults with special needs
- Lessons available to individuals age 3 years and above
- Develop swimming skills and increase water safeness
- Increase self-awareness and develop comfort in the water
- Physical, developmental, and behavioral challenged individuals welcome
- Instructor is specifically trained and experienced in working with individuals with special needs
Water Exercise Training Workouts (WET Workout)
Our water workout classes are drop-in classes that you can attend at your leisure and take place in both deep and shallow water. They are a great low impact way to get a cardiovascular workout and tone your body. All WET Workouts require a Fitness Pass that can be purchased at Sales & Service in the John Wooden Center.
What are the benefits of water aerobics? Read how it helps improve and maintain the five components of fitness.
Warm Water Exercise
We offer a wide range of instructor-led classes, such as Aqua Yoga, Pre/Post Natal, Arthritis H20, and Back to Basics and a non-instructor led pool time called Wavemakers. Warm water exercise is a great way to get a low impact workout while soothing muscles and joints. Many of these classes are ideal for those leaving physical therapy and looking for a place to continue this exercise on their own. (Note: These class are not therapy classes. They are recreational exercise classes.)
We have a Wavemakers Punchcard that gives you the freedom to attend any Wavemakers section on a space available basis.
Classes take place at the South Pool and are scheduled each quarter to include a wide range of opportunities for warm water exercise (temperature 86-94 degrees) and traditional water exercise classes (temperature 78-82 degrees). Equipment is provided for all classes. For more information, please call (310) 825-3671.